What are your dreams? What ideas are locked in your busy mind, just waiting for a few quiet minutes in your busy day to show themselves to you? It’s believed we only use about 10% of our brains, the other 90% contains so many possibilities! Time relaxing in your mind provides you with a greater sense of wellness and opens your creativity. What did you day dream of today?
Do you have ideas that you are afraid to try? What is the worst thing that could happen? It won’t work? That’s fine, then you’ll know! Right now, if you are holding back, your creative energy is being wasted on wondering if it will work or not. Find out! Share with us, in the comments how it worked! You can link to your own blog, facebook, social media to show us the results if you’d like!
Are you drinking enough water? I can’t stress water enough. We are a dehydrated bunch…especially those of us who can become caught up in a focused space where the world falls away while we create! Food, water, and bathroom breaks all seem to halt when we get in that brain space where creativity is really flowing! This means it’s important to plan ahead!
Fill a nice big glass water bottle with water, maybe a couple drops of essential oil for fun flavor*. I recommend Lemon, Wild Orange or Peppermint. Mmmmm. If water is easily to reach, you are more likely to drink it.
Fruit infused water is very fun! Add fresh fruit to a pitcher of water, along with a couple drops of essential oil for added pop of flavor! Delicious and refreshing! Making water special will increase your likelihood of being well hydrated!
*Not all brands of essential oils are safe for internal use. Please read the bottle, and follow the guidelines listed.
Creativity…it’s sometimes so elusive. Maybe the last time you sat down to your torch you struggled to find a new color combo. Maybe you had a hard time deciding what to make. Maybe you were in your brain, instead of your mind and heart. How do you make the shift from that cognitive decision making brain to the flow of the mind and heart?
Self care. What? What does that mean?
To nurture the creative part, the sensitive part, the emotional part of yourself that brings forth the ideas that opens you up to the vision that is in your minds eye, or your sacred heart. To do this you must feel safe, feel cared for and that your needs are provided. That starts with you!
If you are busy, going through the motions of life, hitting the torch in a space that keeps you from expressing yourself in a meaningful way, get some tea and let’s talk…
What do you do when you wake up? Is your phone next to our bed? Are you checking email from your pillow, snuggled under the blankets? Are you hitting the coffee so you can make breakfast and get yourself, or others, out of the house in time for other obligations? Slow down. You may be thinking that is not possible. Maybe you’ve been trying to figure out how to drink your first cup of coffee before you wake, so you can get a little ahead of the game…
Tomorrow take the first 10 minutes of your day to spend as a creativity kick start. What will you do in those quiet 10 minutes?
- Tap into your higher power. Maybe for you that is prayer, maybe it’s meditation, maybe it’s a sense of gratitude. A gratitude journal is a beautiful thing to have next to your bed. (Move over phone, we are going old school with a journal and pen) Look outside of yourself for 5 or so minutes to see the bigger picture. That you are part of a world of wonder!
- Breathe! We don’t breathe enough, or deep enough. Take a deep breath, in for a count of 4 and out for a count of 4. In your nose, out your mouth. Maybe add an essential oil to that time. A drop on your hands, rubbed together and then hold in front of your nose to take in those wonderful molecules that stimulate your brain in such a safe and natural way! Wild Orange can help wake you up, Bergamot can support your confidence, A respiratory blend can help you speak what you need to, and Cypress can help you flow with what comes.
- Apply an oil that helps you feel centered or grounded, to your feet. Arborvitea is wonderful for helping you feel rooted, being in the here and now. Wouldn’t you like to start your day feeling grounded? InTune can help you focus and feel less scattered. Frankincense is a powerful oil that your cells delight in. Select an oil, apply it to your feet and then walk in peace throughout your day.
- Grab a glass of water. Water is a great way to awake your body systems from slumber. We’ve talked about the importance of hydration and starting with a glass first thing in the morning will help to set the tone for the rest of the day.
Spending 10 minutes in a quiet space each morning can help to restore your Essence. Fill your storehouses, because when we hit the torch we want to be tapping into our Essence. If all you have when you hit the torch is fumes, you will see that clearly when your creativity won’t come! What do you do to care for yourself and restore your essence?
Yum! This is a super simple healthy snack, that satisfies the chocolate desire, while providing you with great fats which is good for a healthy brain, and the fabulous flavor of essential oils!
Thank your Chocolate Stars!
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 2-5 drops of your favorite essential oil*
Essential Oils I’ve used and enjoyed:
- Wild Orange
- Black Pepper (seriously it’s super yummy!)
Mix all ingredients, load into a pastry bag with a star tip and make stars on a pan lined with parchment paper. When complete put in the freezer. I like to store it the freezer and take out a few at a time. They will melt in the heat. If you want to take a few to the torch you could put them on a small plate over a bowl with ice, to create a cooler!
*Not all oils are meant for internal use. Please read the bottle before proceeding with using essential oils for flavor. If your oil indicates it’s not for internal consumption, don’t consume it! If you want more information about oils that are safe for internal use, please contact me!
Hopefully you do not experience the symptoms of overworked or abused wrists. Hopefully you don’t have the shooting pain, numbness, tingling and other sensations that come from your joints being stressed.
The best way to keep that from happening is self care for your wrists! Maybe you do have some of those sensations, then take this time to listen to your body and support it in a more meaningful way!
Let’s apply an essential oil that can support healthy joint and muscles like Marjoram, Lemongrass or blends designed for massage or joint support, which often contain oils like peppermint, helichrysum, cypress, basil. These are both wonderful options to support the joints and muscles! They help soothe and relieve discomfort that comes from a lack of support and over use! Maybe you’d like to add a little carrier oil, to help the oil absorb into the skin quicker and easier!
Now that we are oiled up, let’s give our wrists a little extra love! This is a great video, It’s short (only about 3 1/2 minutes), simple, and fun. It’s all about the wrists! Let’s go!
Your wrists feel great! They feel supported and are ready to provide you with a great torch session! Take time to complete this little routine before and after each torch session. Your wrists will thank you!
Wild Orange and Peppermint are a great combination! When you are feeling tired, put a drop on each hand, rub hands, together, cup hands in front of nose* and inhale! This is a very invigorating blend that will lift your spirits, awake your senses, and get send that tired feeling on it’s way!
* Note: Peppermint in or close to the eyes will cause your eyes to water. If you get peppermint in the eyes, don’t flush with water, that will intensify the sensation, simply apply olive or coconut oil, etc, near the eye, and allow that oil to draw the peppermint out of eyes. If you do nothing the sensation will go away on it’s own, as well.
I woke up this morning with a bath in wild orange and bergamot essential oils!
Last night I put 1 cup of epsom salts in a glass jar, added 5 drops each of Wild Orange and Bergamot. I covered and shook to mix.
This morning I poured my jar into the bath, to awaken my senses and brighten my vision for the day!
Wild Orange is uplifting, fresh and lovely! Bergamot supports a sense of calm and reduces stressful feelings.
Today is a beautiful day and is looking bright, making a creative path much easier to follow!
Let’s talk about air quality and respiratory health!
- Appropriate Ventilation: As a glass artist, you know this is important. Good ventilation takes potential products of combustion out of your immediate breathing area, helping to keep your lungs from inhaling those potentially damaging molecules.
- Respirator: When using techniques that include fuming, or powders that could become airborne very easily it’s important to have that extra layer of protection.
- Staying well hydrated: This allows your body to move contaminates through your body more easily and supports your body functions and systems in so many wonderful ways!
How can essential oils help?
After taking the above precautions there is still more you can do to insure a healthy respiratory system! Repiratory blends that contain oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, cardamom, melaleuca and rosemary are designed to support the sinuses and respiratory system.
Many studios are dry. When working, especially during deep concentration you may find your breathing to be very shallow, you may even hold your breath. After a longer session you may find that your sinuses are dry, or your a little sore or tight in the shoulders and neck. This can be from not getting enough oxygen in your body while you are working.
A drop of of a respiratory blend, inhaled from your hands before you begin your torch session can:
- support healthy respiratory function
- increase oxygen levels in the lungs
- encourage deeper breathing
- increase energy and make you feel more alert
If your respiratory system could use additional support, you can apply to the chest, daily with a carrier oil. A carrier oil is any high quality oil with a fatty base, like coconut oil or olive oil. Simply apply a drop of carrier oil to the upper chest, then add a drop of essential oil and rub in.
Would you like to try this wonderful oil? Let me know! Don’t forget to include your mailing address!